Monday, January 26, 2009

Why the 'Procrastination Series'?

The idea for a series on procrastination evolved last November, during my latest visit to my son and his family. Every evening, my granddaughter Temimah kept finding one excuse after another to delay doing her homework. It became a running joke with us, and one evening I taught her the word 'procrastination'. She enjoyed having a name for her delays, and another level of fun was added to her daily ritual.

In the weeks since that trip, I've found myself putting off tasks and chores, and each time I thought of Temimah and chuckled. Memories of my own procrastinations filled my head, and I started thinking they might make for a pleasant blog post. Then the war in Gaza broke out, and my thoughts were filled with 'What ifs', and I realized that my ruminations about procrastination were unexpectedly filled with hopes and dreams and political sighs.

I'm not sure how many posts there will be in this series, but I can promise that there will be a mix ranging from fond memories to serious political and religious discussions, all themed to procrastination. It's something that's been bubbling inside me even before my fun with Temimah, but it wasn't until last night's wedding (see my post from earlier today) that I was finally ready to stop procrastinating and start writing.

As I write these entries, I'd love to hear your own procrastination experiences. Are you the type who never puts things off? Or do you wait until beyond the last minute to get things done?

No comments: