Thursday, July 2, 2009

Year End Wrap Up, part one


For as long as I can remember, I've had a birthday ritual: I miss a night or two of sleep before my birthday, and even when I tell myself that I'm not mulling over the past year, mull is precisely what I do.

I'm lucky in that I don't usually find myself lost in regrets. Don't get me wrong- I don't necessarily spend those sleepless nights patting myself on the back, either. I simply let my mind wander over events and emotions of the year, reflecting and smiling, wondering a bit wistfully, and dreaming of the year ahead.

Whether it's because I'm getting older, or because of the recent significant changes in my lifestyle, this year, instead of a sleepless pre-birthday night, I went to sleep early and slept soundly through the night.

So, the reflective birthday post I expected to write went out the window when I woke up refreshed. That was almost a month ago, and I think I kept waiting for some sort of delayed night of ruminations. Well, it never came, and while I've done some looking back and reflecting, I guess the bottom line is that I'm truly happy and well-adjusted, and enjoying life too much to take time out for serious ruminating.

Heck, I'm not complaining! Although, I have to admit that there are times that this pervasive and all-encompassing state of contentment I find myself in does make me feel a bit odd. But, those times only last a brief moment or two, because, well- I'm happy.

Maybe it has something to do with getting older, after all. A while ago I read an article that stated that as people age, they have a greater sense of peace and calm in their lives. While my closest friends may laughingly argue that 'calm' is a word they would never associate with me, I know that my core inner self is definitely engaged in calmness and contentment.

(You can find the article on aging and calmness here.)

I'm going to title this post, 'Year End Wrap Up, part one,' although considering how long it's taken me to finally write it, maybe I should have included it in the procrastination series I've been writing. In the next post or two, I'll write a brief wrap up of places I've traveled this year, and maybe, instead of a 'mulling' post, I'll dedicate one to plans, dreams, and hopes for the year ahead.


No comments: